Sign in Subscribe

Wayland Historical Commission to send formal letter over library's removal of local history collection

Historical Commission · Meeting of August 17, 2026

Wayland Historical Commission moves to formally protest library's removal of local history collection. The commission voted by consensus August 17 to send a letter of concern to Library Director Chris Lundquist and the trustees after the custom wooden cabinet holding Mariah Child's volumes, high school yearbooks and vertical files was removed from the first-floor reference area, with most contents relocated to a locked second-floor storage cage. Interim Chair R.

Richard Conard visited the library July 29 and was told the change was prompted by concerns about wood off-gassing. Member Katherine Gardner-Westcott said the cabinet had been sealed against off-gassing when originally purchased and estimated researchers would lose 30 to 45 minutes of a two-hour visit to staff retrieval times. "History is a browsing collection," Gardner-Westcott said.

Resident Sandy Foy cited a library strategic plan survey showing 55 percent of respondents wanted more local history programming. The commission also approved three house plaques and set September 2 as its next meeting.

In the full story:

  • The complete report — 2,598 words

Source: the Historical Commission meeting of August 17, 2026, reported from the official video recording and transcript.

Keep reading with a 14-day free trial

Subscribe to Wayland News to keep reading this post and get 14 days of free access to the full post archives.

Already have an account? Sign in. Ask about this instead

A subscription gets you:

  • Subscriber-only posts and full archive
  • Post comments and join the community
  • 24x7 access to local news

Subscribe to Wayland News

Don’t miss out on the latest issues. Sign up now to get access to the library of members-only issues.
jamie@example.com
Subscribe